is based on several systems is constantly being improved with methods and principles of European Hospital Controlling. DRG (diagnosis-related group) system have been adopted in an increasingly large number of countries around the world including Europa. It classifies hospital cases that are clinically similar and are expected to have equal amounts of medical treatment costs. This classification was developed as a collaborative project by Robert B Fetter, PhD, of the Yale School of Management, and John D. Thompson, MPH, of the Yale School of Public Health (1). The system is also referred to as “the DRGs”. When used for payment, the amount per episode of care is fixed for patients within a single DRG category (based on average cost), regardless of the actual cost of care for that individual episode, but varies across DRGs.
In general, DRG payments are used for inpatient care services but are also frequently used for daycare and surgery services. Depending on the country of the EU, several exclusions may apply, such as for expensive drugs and medical devices, high-tech interventions, transplantations, emergency care, psychiatry, rehabilitation and long-term nursing care (2).
Healthcare providers are paid by insurance or government payers through reimbursements based on the DRG coding.
Our company MedcoDRG supports patients, insurers, medical tourism companies and government payers with comparative anylysis in the field of European Hospital Controlling.
- engaging contacts with institutions of the European Union with contributing to consultations, hearings and other similar initiatives
- preparing of communication and information material, carrying out research on hospital coding and billing in the EU
- organising communication campaigns, platforms, networks and grassroots initiatives;
- Consulting on clinical coding and billing in the EU
- helping patients, healthcare providers and insurers to estimate costs for a hospital stay in Germany with Free MedcoDRG Cost Estimator
Please find more news and updates in the section News/Blog.